Singalong Saturdays: Let’s Pretend We’re Clouds
There are so many things to learn in Hot Toast Music Co.’s songs each week. Let’s learn together and make discoveries! Each week’s Singalong Saturdays will include ways to connect ideas in the songs to fun at-home activities you can do together as a family. Simple activities are multidisciplinary and appropriate for a wide variety of learners. They include storytime, artmaking, science explorations, film suggestions, discussion prompts, and more!
Play Along: Let’s Pretend We’re Clouds
Enjoy the wonderful world of day dreaming and make believe by listening to a read aloud from our friends at the Eric Carle Museum: Little Cloud by Eric Carle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXn27SbdNKU)
Check this Out!
Meet Floatie the Cloud on Sesame Street and discover all the different kinds of clouds! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI7Ia5s50QI)
Talk about it!
Being in nature is so important! You notice the ground, the dirt, the trees, and the clouds. Think about these conversation prompts next time you go outside and look up at the sky.
- When you go outside, which of your senses are you thankful you have?
- How would the world be different if we lived in the clouds, and the sky was grass?
- What is your favorite precipitation that comes from clouds- rain, snow, hail- and why?
- What do you see? Can you describe it as if you are talking to someone on the phone- without FaceTime or video? What words might you use to describe a cloud? Puffy like _______? Moving like ________? Colored like _______?
Creative Challenges: Cloudy Creations!
Ink Blot Clouds
Use simple materials to create unique cloud patterns!
What you will need:
- Colored paper (I used blue and black for sky colors- what will you use?)
- White paint
- Start by folding your piece of paper in half and dotting white paint on one side of the paper.
- Fold the paper over the paint and press with your fingers in all directions.
- If you make several, you can attach them all using a stapler and make your own book of clouds. Add illustrations or a write your own Eric Carle-inspired Little Cloud story.
Cloud in a Jar
Make your own pocket-sized cloud at home! Experiment with hot water and ice and watch your cloud grow!
What you will need:
- Very warm water (ask a grownup for help!)
- Handful of Ice
- Glass jar with led
- Aerosol hairspray
- Fill your glass jar about halfway full with very warm or hot water.
- Quickly, spray hairspray to coat the top of the water.
- Then cover glass jar with lid and place a few ice cubes on the top of the jar.
- Watch your cloud grow inside of the jar. After a few minutes, remove the lid and watch the cloud release into the air!